Driving Traffic to your Website
There are numerous ways of generating traffic to your website most of which for the most part will only cost you a bit of time. Below are ten of the most effective, although this is by no means an exhaustive list.
- Good use of keywords in the page titles and content. This will help with the search engine ranking of your site.
- Links from other sites. Put simply the more links back to your site the more traffic you will generate. This also helps to increase your site’s ranking. When asking other people to add a link to your site try and make sure that their site is in a similar niche to yours as they are more likely to reciprocate thus generating traffic for both sites.
- Publish articles related to your website with links back to your site. Article marketing is a very cheap and efficient way to generate traffic to your site. Register with several article publishing sites and start publishing your articles. Alternatively you can publish other people's articles from these sites which will ensure that your site content is regularly updated (see below).
- Ensure that your website is updated frequently as some search engines drop stagnant websites. Depending on your site’s content this can be as little as once a month.
- Create a newsletter. This does not require as much effort as you might think and can result in lots of repeat traffic. Utilising the article publishing sites makes this very easy and will not take up much of your time.
- Paid advertising such as Pay Per Click (PPC), though this can be expensive and should be avoided when starting out to keep your costs down unless of course you have a good marketing budget.
- Add a ‘Book Mark’ script to your primary page.
- Sign up for a free account with Google to get access to a large number of very useful tools such as Google Analytics.
- Add a ‘Recommend a friend’ link so that your visitors can email the link to their friends. If somebody you know tells you to check out a website the vast majority of people will visit the site.
- Register with a traffic exchange site. Most offer a free basic service with an option to subscribe to a paid service which will offer more resources. This will require an investment of time on your part but is a great way of getting traffic to your site especially if you are running on a tight budget. One word of caution though, if your are displaying any Pay Per Click adverts on your site check their terms and conditions as sometimes the use of traffic exchange sites may be prohibited and could result in your account being suspended or closed.
With the exception of PPC advertising following all of the above will only cost you time which is a great way to start up any business and will enable you to generate a significant amount of traffic to your site.
Remember the more traffic you generate the more business you will do.